Actor Geoffrey Rush wins #MeToo defamation case against Australian tabloid
The tabloid had reported that Geoffrey Rush had abused Eryn Jean Norvill, his co-star in the 2015 stage production of King Lear.
Australian actor Geoffrey Rush has won a defamation case against an Australian tabloid called the Daily Telegraph after they published a report accusing him of sexual misconduct with an actor. Justice Michael Wigney, a federal court judge said that the publication had been ‘extravagant and reckless’ in reporting that the actor had misbehaved with a co-star.
According to the report, Geoffrey, who won more than 600,000 Australian dollars, was said to have abused Eryn Jean Norvill, his co-star in the 2015 stage production of King Lear. However, the judge clearing his name said that the report was “a recklessly irresponsible piece of sensational journalism of the worst kind”. However, while the 67-year-old actor has already won the money, he may get a larger sum in a second hearing, scheduled to be on May 10. The trial for the case had lasted 13 days and the judgement came after the Shine star sued the tabloid in 2018, for publishing front page articles in 2017 about him inappropriately behaving with Eryn in the Sydney Theatre Company Production.
However, after the decision, Geoffrey said that there were no winners in the case as it was extremely distressing for everyone involved in it. Earlier, the Australian actor’s team had said that the publication had implied he was a "pervert, a sexual predator and committed sexual assault" but none of them were true. .