Food special: Thankgiving recipes that will have your guests eating out of your hands!
Mukesh Sharma, Executive Chef, Sheraton Grand Chennai Resort & Spa shows us how to prepare a Thanksgiving Roast Turkey and Pumpkin Pie for dessert!
Thanksgiving Turkey Roast
- Unsalted Butter, Softened 250 gms
- Olive Oil (Not Extra Virgin) 20 ml
- Fresh Lemon Juice 10 ml
- Garlic Cloves (pressed) 3 Large
- Chopped Parsley 25 gms
- Salt (Sea Salt) 10 gms
- Black Pepper 10 gms
- Onion, Quartered 2
- Garlic Cloves 5
- Bunch Parsley 15gms
- Lemon, Quartered 1
- Thyme 5 gms
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Melt the butter in a small saucepan. Add the zest and juice of the lemon and rest of the mentioned ingredients to the butter mixture. Set aside.
- Take the giblets out of the turkey and wash the turkey inside and out. Remove any excess fat and leftover pinfeathers and pat the outside dry. Place the turkey in a large roasting pan. Liberally salt and pepper the inside of the turkey cavity. Stuff the cavity with the bunch of thyme, halved lemon, quartered onion, and the garlic. Brush the outside of the turkey with the butter mixture and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Tie the legs together with string and tuck the wing tips under the body of the turkey.
- Roast the turkey about 2 1/2 hours, or until the juices run clear when you cut between the leg and the thigh. Remove the turkey to a cutting board and cover with aluminum foil; let rest for 20 minutes.
- Slice the turkey and serve.
For the crust:
- 120gm Unsalted Butter, Melted and Cooled Slightly
- 15 gm Vegetable Oil
- 15 gm Granulated Sugar
- 2 gm Fine Salt
- 160Gm All-Purpose Flour
For the pie:
- 450 gm Pumpkin Purée
- 420 gm Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 2 Large Eggs
- 5 gm Ground Cinnamon
- 3 gm Ground Nutmeg
- 1 gm Ground Cloves
For the crust:
- Stir the butter, oil, sugar, and salt together in a medium bowl until evenly combined. Add the measured flour and stir until a soft dough forms.
- Sprinkle the dough in small clumps over the bottom of a 9-1/2-inch deep-dish pie plate. Using a measuring cup or your fingers, evenly press the dough into the bottom and up the sides of the plate (flour the cup or your fingers occasionally to prevent sticking). Cover with plastic wrap and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
For the pie:
- Heat the oven to 350°F and arrange a rack in the lower third. Place a baking sheet on the rack while the oven is heating.
- Place all of the ingredients except the whipped cream in a large bowl and whisk until smooth and combined. Pour into the chilled pie crust.
- Place the pie on the hot baking sheet and bake until the top starts to brown and the filling is set but still jiggles slightly in the center, about 50 minutes. Remove from the oven to a wire rack and let cool completely before serving. Top slices of the pie with whipped cream.