Here are the most popular travel destination trends in India this summer
It reveals offbeat destinations within India and overseas that should be on the radar of intrepid travellers and helps them discover savings by showing the least expensive summer week to visit.
TripAdvisor's 2018 Summer Vacation Value Report has highlighted the top domestic and international destinations for Indian travellers this summer (May 1st to July 31st) based on booking interest, including the average one-week vacation cost for hotel stay. The report also reveals offbeat destinations within India and overseas that should be on the radar of intrepid travellers and helps them discover savings by showing the least expensive summer week to visit.
“The Indian traveller is looking to get maximum value for his or her money whilst making the most of their trip whether in India or overseas. I am confident this report will help them to not just plan and book the best summer vacation but also within the budget they have set themselves, with savings made along the way,” said Nikhil Ganju, Country Manager, TripAdvisor India.
“This year we have also surfaced average nightly prices of accommodations by star categories to help travellers find the best price and week to visit specific destinations. This saves travellers time and effort when comparing hotel prices and helps them make informed choices thus, raising the probability of their booking a higher star category hotel which may have been out of their budget,” he added.
1. An escape to the ‘hills’ is the most popular summer trend with travellers looking to holiday domestically. However, the ultimate ‘city break’ is on the minds of those looking to travel overseas.
2. On mainstream destinations, travellers can save up to 44% on domestic and up to 30% on international hotels this season.
3. On offbeat destinations, travellers can save up to 47% on domestic and up to 34% on international hotels this season.
4. Goa and Bali, both beach destinations are top of mind for travellers this summer when considering domestic and international getaways respectively.
5. Travellers can choose amongst a myriad of destinations that are still offbeat such as Neil Island (Andaman & Nicobar Islands), Lachung (Sikkim), Pothamedu (Kerala) in India and Flic En Flac (Mauritius), Praslin Island (Seychelles), Imerovigli (Santorini), amongst others when going overseas.
Below is a breakdown of average nightly rate for top mainstream domestic and international destinations by star category for the entire travel season:
- 5-star category: Among the top domestic destinations, Darjeeling (West Bengal) is most expensive and Munnar (Kerala)is the cheapest. Among the top international destinations, New York City (United States) has the most expensive average nightly rate and Pattaya (Thailand) has the lowest.
- 4-star category: Leh(Jammu and Kashmir) is the most expensive and Puri (Odisha) is the most economical among domestic destinations. Among international destinations, Santorini (Greece) is most expensive and Pattaya(Thailand) the lowest.
- 3-star category: Mahabaleshwar(Maharashtra) is most expensive and New Delhi, the most economical among domestic destinations. New York City is most expensive and Phuket (Thailand) along with Pattaya the most affordable among international destinations.
-2-star category: Mahabaleshwar is most expensive and New Delhi the lowest among domestic destinations. New York City is the most expensive and Krabi(Thailand) least expensive among international destinations.