6 craziest things Rajini fans have done for their Thalaivar
Rajinikanth is often looked at as more than an actor, or even a great actor. He is regarded in the eyes of his fans as a god and would do anything to appease him. Of all the crazy fan moments where fans would do anything to see him and his films, here are the craziest moments attributed to the dedicated Rajini fanbase to celebrate his 67th birthday.
1. A fan spent 1.5 lakh on a last-minute flight to Hong Kong just to "breathe the same oxygen" as the Thalaivar
40-year-old Sreenivasan Jayaseelan wasn't able to meet Rajini in Chennai, but when he heard that the actor was on his way to a shoot in Hong Kong, he wasn't going to miss out on the opportunity. He swiftly booked a ticket for him and his family to see his idol, spending 1.5 lakh. "Money is nothing in front of my God. We got to breathe the same oxygen as our Thalaivar for a few hours on the flight. What else do we need," he said.
2. When Kabali was released, the same fan said to have watched 10 back-to-back showings in the theatre
He claimed to have spent a whole day inside the cinema complex.
3. When Rajini fell ill in 2011, a fan attempted suicide in order to donate his kidneys
The actor was so distraught over the news that Rajini was having lung and liver problems, that he took matters into his own hands. He felt he could help the actor by overdosing on sleeping pills so that his hero could take his kidney.
4. A man sells his wife's jewellery to hold a giant birthday party for Rajinikanth every year
Chennai superfan G. Mani was featured in the documentary For the Love of a Man for his annual public Rajini celebrations on December 12th. He says that he sells his wife's jewellery in order to pay for the big street party event.
5. Companies declared holiday for Kabali's release date
Not only did several South India companies declare holiday for their employees on the release date of Kabali, some companies even gave out free tickets to see the show.
6. At the news of Rajini's recovery, 1008 fans shaved their heads in celebration
Fans were so relieved when they heard that Rajini's health had improved after his illness, that a total of 1008 fans went to the Lord Dandayudhapani temple in Palani and shaved their heads as an offering of gratitude.