Here’s why classic motorcycles like Yezdi and BSA may return to Indian roads
Jawa Motorcycles is an iconic brand and has now been revived by Classic Legends, a company set up by Anand Mahindra, Anupam Thareja, and Boman Irani.
The label is set on bringing back that classic appeal and is looking at capitalising on the growing lower mid-size motorcycle segment with their retro offerings.
Classic Legends - The big plan
In a select gathering with the management team of Classic Legends, here are some of the key pointers that they revealed about their strategy.
* Jawa was a good starting point with its heritage in India and still has a strong following. The first two models will be the Jawa and Jawa Forty Two, however, this will be followed up with a factory custom chopper called the Perak. The Perak comes with a larger 334cc engine that delivers 30 bhp and 31 Nm of torque. It has been priced at INR 1,89,000.
* Classic Legends has Yezdi and BSA in their portfolio and they too will make a comeback. Each brand will be worked on with its own individual product strategy
* Currently, the showrooms will be Jawa showrooms, however going forward they might get rebranded to Classic Legend showrooms once the portfolio grows. Currently, there are 105 dealerships that will be set up.
* Launched as lifestyle products, there is also a solid plan for accessories which include merchandise, bike accessories and performance accessories.
Who is the customer
* These bikes are made for a younger audience who wants a distinct ride and has the drive to be different.
* The customer is segmented from 18-35 years old. The bikes have been made to cater to the needs of that age group
* The ownership has to be aspirational, the ownership has to be driven by passion.
* The brand is built on nostalgia, however, the young generation is very mature and they are very aware of Jawa as a brand.
* Jawa is catering to a customer who wants a different experience in the mid-size segment.
Currently, there are no plans to export the bikes and India is the focus market for Jawa right now.