From Corn and Broccoli Idli to Dabeli Sandwich, here are five healthy snack recipes for toddlers
Evening hours are usually the time when our attempts at eating healthy go for a toss, not only for us adults but also for the toddlers. And, what should we give to toddlers at these hours often difficult to figure out. To help the parents out there, we ask Chef Shazia Khan, first Runner-Up of MasterChef India Season 2, who hosts a cookery show titled Mother’s Menu on LF channel, for some healthy snack options for toddlers from her kitchen and here are they:
1. Corn and Brocolli Idli
Ingredients: Sooji : 1 cup (dry roasted) | Curd : 1 cup | Baking soda : a pinch | Corn kernels : 1/2 cup (boiled and blended coarsely) | Broccoli : 1/2 cup (grated) | Onion : 1/2 (finely chopped) | Coriander leaves : 1 tbsp (finely chopped) | Green chilli : 1 (finely chopped, optional) | Salt to taste | Ghee : To brush mould
1. Mix all the ingredients to form a batter.
2. Pour batter in mini idli moulds and steam for 5-6 minutes, until done.
3. Serve hot.
2. Poha Cutlet
Ingredients: Thick poha : 1 cup | Potato : 1 large (boiled) | Green peas : 1/4 cup (boiled) | Carrot : 1/4 cup (grated) | Cumin powder :½ tsp | Red chilli powder : 1/2 tsp | Turmeric powder : 1/4 tsp | Roasted cashewnuts : 2 tbsp (crushed) | Mint leaves : 1 tbsp (chopped) | Coriander leaves : 2 tbsp (chopped) | Salt to taste | Oil : to shallow fry
1. Wash and soak poha in warm water and keep it aside for 10 minutes. Now, strain all the water and keep it aside again.
2. In another bowl, mash the boiled potato and peas to a smooth texture.
3. Add the soaked poha and carrot to it and mix well until you get a consistent mixture.
4. Add cumin powder, chilli powder, turmeric powder, mint and coriander leaves.
5. Finally add cashew nuts and mix well until everything is combined.
6. Make small cutlets of preferred shape and keep aside.
7. Heat oil in a pan and shallow fry the cutlets on medium heat until they turn golden brown.
8. Serve with green chutney or tomato sauce.
3. Chatpati Chapati
For the marinade: Garlic paste : 1/2 tsp | Black pepper powder : ¼ tsp | Red chilli powder : 1/4 tsp | Sugar : 1 tsp | Cumin powder :1 tsp | Salt to taste
For stuffing: Green bell pepper : 1/2 (diced) | Corn kernel : 1/4 cup (boiled) | Cottage cheese : 75 gms (diced into very small cubes) | Mozzarella cheese : 50 gms (grated) | Whole wheat atta rotis : 2 (medium size) | Oil : 2 tbsp
1. In a bowl, add all the marinade ingredients, vegetables and paneer and mix them well.
2. Heat 1 tsp oil in a pan. Add the vegetable mixture, stir-fry them for 2-3 minutes.
3. Heat some oil in a non-stick grill pan and place a roti on it. Add the vegetable mixture, sprinkle some cheese on half portion of the roti and now fold the roti into half.
4. Grill on both the sides till it turns golden brown.
5. Slice and serve with mint chutney
4. Mini Shammi Kabab
Ingredients: Minced mutton : 250 gms (washed and strained) | Chicken : 250 gms (boneless breast pieces, cut into cubes) | Tomato : 2 (diced) | Onion : 1 (sliced) | Fresh coconut : 50 gms (grated) | Green chilli : 2 (roughly chopped) | Chilli powder : 1tsp | Coriander powder : 1 tsp | Turmeric powder : ½ tsp | Garam masala powder : ½ tsp | Garlic : 10 cloves | Coriander leaves : 10 gms (roughly chopped) | Bengal gram : ½ cup, (washed) | Water : 1½ cups | Salt To taste | Egg : 1 (use only the white part) | Oil : For shallow frying
1. Mix all the ingredients well
2. Add water and cook this mixture in a pressure cooker for about 3-4 whistles.
3. Open the pressure cooker and cook the mixture till it gets completely dry. Allow this mixture to cool down.
4. Now, grind the mixture into a smooth paste and put it into a bowl. Add the egg white and mix well.
5. To shape the kebabs, divide the mixture into small portions, shape into round balls and flatten them.
6. Shallow fry till they turn golden brown.
7. Serve hot with mint chutney.
For the masala: Dry Chilli : 6 nos | Coriander seeds : 2 tsp | Cinnamon Stick : ½ inch | Cloves : 2-3 nos | Cumin : 1 tsp
For the potato filling: Sweet potatoes : 3 (boiled, peeled and mashed) | Onion : 1(finely chopped) | Dabeli masala : 2-3 tsp | Cumin: ¼ tsp | Tamarind Chutney : 2 tbsp
For garnish: Pomegranate : 1 tsp | Peanuts : 1 tsp | Sev : 2 tbsp | Fresh Coriander : 1 tsp
For the masala: Dry roast all the ingredients for the masala and then grind them into a fine powder.
For the potato filling:
1. In a pan, heat oil and add cumin seeds. Once they start to crackle, add chopped onions and allow them to become soft.
2. Add tamarind chutney and mix well
3. Add the mashed potatoes and mix well
4. Now add the dabeli masala and mix well. Now, add some salt and mix again.
5. Cook for 4 mins and it is ready.
For the Assembling:
1. Butter the bread slices. Put some tamarind chutney on both the slices of bread
2. Place the potato filling and then put peanuts and pomegranate
3. Grill the sandwich
4. Garnish it with sev on the sides and coriander leaves
Try them and let us know how the toddlers in your lives found them.
Catch more recipes from Chef Shazia Khan on LF channel every Monday & Tuesday at 2.30 pm