Thanksgiving special: Westin Mumbai shares recipe for Roasted Alderman Turkey
Wondering how to go about preparing the turkey, we have a recipe from the kitchen of The Westin Mumbai Garden City to help you out.
Thanksgiving is almost here and if you wondering how to go about preparing the turkey, we have a recipe from the kitchen of The Westin Mumbai Garden City to help you out.
Roasted Alderman Turkey
• 15 pound turkey
• 1/4 cup butter, softened
• 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
• 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
• 1 teaspoon each, salt and pepper
• Preheat the oven to 160ºC.
• Remove giblets and neck from turkey. Place them in a large saucepan and set aside.
• Pat the turkey with paper towels inside and out. Fold the neck skin over stuffing and skewer the skin to the back. Lift the wings and twist them so the tips are under the bird.
• Stuff the body cavity. Tuck the legs under the band of skin at the tip of the body cavity or tie them with string.
• Immediately place the turkey, breast side up, on a rack in the roasting pan. If you don't have a rack, butter a few slices of bread on both sides and place them on the roasting pan first. Place the turkey on top of the bread to keep it from sticking to the pan.
• In a small bowl, mix together butter, sage, and thyme. Rub this mixture over the turkey. Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
• Place foil over the turkey so that it points upwards in the middle, making a tent shape. Make sure the foil is dull side up. Leave the sides open.
• Roast the turkey at 160ºC, for 4 hours. Baste every 30 minutes to 1 hour. Remove the foil after 4 hours and continue roasting until a meat thermometer inserted into the thigh registers 80ºC and the stuffing reads 70ºC. This will probably take about 1 hour longer.
• Transfer the turkey to a cutting board. Tent with the foil and let it stand for about 20 minutes to let the juices settle before carving.